Shetland Home Co.
We are an inclusive, community focused social enterprise. We strive to support re-use and recycling in our isles. We deliver a diverse range of services developed in response to our community's needs.
COVID Safety Information
For real time updates on opening hours and any service changes, please visit our FaceBook page.
OPENING HOURS (As of Wednesday 22nd Sept. 2021)
To Shop: Monday to Saturday - 9am to 4pm
To Donate: Monday to Saturday - 9am to 4pm (via our yard)
We work hard to make sure Shetland Home Co is as safe as possible, so you can enjoy shopping here with confidence.
• Donation Days – We can now accept donations every day from Monday to Saturday. We will still be treating all incoming donations as high risk, and have processes in place to Bio-Fog all donations in containers in our yard. Once treated, donations come into the main building for assessing and sorting. To donate, please come to the yard gate where you will find a bell to ring for attention.
• Although we are no longer limiting customer numbers in store, we do ask that you continue to wear face coverings in store and observe sensible social distancing to ensure that everyone feels safe and comfortable while browsing.
• Floor markings – we have kept floor markings in place as a helpful guide for social distancing from other customers.
• Hand Sanitiser and Masks – As soon as you enter the shop you will find a welcome desk where we ask that you use hand sanitiser before entering the store. Masks are also available if you have forgotten to bring your own.
• Thorough cleaning – In addition to our reguar, daily, routine cleaning, touch points are cleaned thoroughly on an hourly bases.
• Delivery/Collections Van – If you have large items you'd like to donate, we can collect them for you. We can also deliver large purchases. Please contact us for details or to arrange a collection slot. Our van team are working to current Scottish Government guidelines specific to delivery/collection services, as set out by Revolve. We will be wearing face coverings and maintaining 2-metre social distancing at all times. Where possible we prefer contactless collections and deliveries, for everyone's safety. However, we understand that this is not always possible and will work with you to organise safe collection/delivery, taking circumstances into consideration. Your safety and that of our staff is of utmost importance.
The strict measures we still have in place, are designed to give our participants, customers and staff absolute confidence in being able to return to the Shetland Home Co. safely.
If you have any questions or to arrange a collection or delivery, please get in touch:
- Check our Facebook page for up to date service changes
- Direct message us via our Facebook page
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone 01595 696889, then dial 2
Shetland Home Co Team
Everything you can find for sale in the Shetland Home Co has been generously donated by the Shetland community. The items we stock in the store include:
- Furniture including couches, wardrobes, chests of drawers, tables and chairs
- Domestic white goods and electrical items (all fully checked and PAT tested)
- Computers, printers and monitors (all fully checked and PAT tested)
- Books, DVDs, CD's and Vinyl
- Mirrors and Pictures
- Collectables, China, Glassware and much, much more
At Shetland Home Co. we strive to re-use and recycle household items with the aim of reducing waste. Our highly-skilled team maximise opportunities to do this by carrying out small repairs, PAT testing all electrical items, and ensuring all items are clean and in good working order before sale.
Revolve - national re-use quality standard
We are delighted to announce that we achieved Revolve Certification in June 2017 and have maintained it ever since.
We are one of 115 certified stores across Scotland, each independently assessed and accredited for their commitment to quality, safety and continuous improvement.
A Zero Waste Scotland report reveals that over 70% of people believe that buying second hand goods offers good value and is often cheaper than buying new. Our Revolve certification will help to give shoppers confidence to do just that.
Revolve certification guarantees that we:
- Meet strict standards for legal requirements and product safety. This includes regular reviews of health and safety practices and risk assessments.
- Achieve and maintain the European Foundation of Quality Management (EFQM) ‘Committed to Excellence Award’ issued by Quality Scotland which recognises business that are committed to quality and continuous improvement. This pan-European quality standard is used by over 30,000 organisations.
- Successfully completed the Revolve retail programme of professional training and support to guarantee an excellent customer experience.
How to donate your unwanted items
It's amazing how important your unwanted household items can be to others. We are particularly interested in donations of computer hardware and large furniture items including tables, chairs, sofas and bedroom furniture.
We appreciate all donations at the Shetland Home Co. Why not let our skilled team decide if your old items deserve a second chance? If you have large items you would like to donate, remember we offer a FREE collection service.
For more information or to arrange a collection, call 01595 696889, then press 2.
Our friendly van team can also deliver large items purchased from us. Delivery is available throughout Mainland Shetland for a small fee, ranging from £5 - £15.
For more information, ask in store or call 01595 696889, then press 2.
Over the years we have steadily increased the number of components we can recycle from electrical appliances, PCs and machinery.
This salvage operation targets high value materials such as PC mother boards for their gold, copper, brass, stainless steel, electric motors, cables, lead acid / lithium ion batteries and mild steel. Our team remove all plastic, rubber, glass and contaminates to prepare materials for salvage markets on the UK mainland.
We also sell pre-packed selections of small components inclucing assorted nuts, bolts, springs, metal axles, jewellery components, knobs and handles for model engineers, DIY enthusiasts, inventors, jewellery makers and people interested in arts and crafts. These can be found on the Shetland Home Co. retail floor.
Retail Gift Aid
Help your donation go even further at no extra cost to you. If you are a UK tax payer and you say ‘Yes’ to Gift Aid we can claim 25p for every £1 you give to us, boosting the value of your donation by a quarter. All we need from you is permission to reclaim the tax you have paid to HM Revenue & Customs.
About Retail Gift Aid
Gift Aid is a simple way for Shetland Home Co. to increase the value of donations we receive from UK taxpayers. When a UK taxpayer gives a gift with monetary value to a charity like COPE, tax has already been paid on that money. Through Gift Aid we can claim back an amount equal to the tax already paid by a donor on their donation from HMRC.
If you are a UK tax payer, please ‘Go even further’ when you donate to us at Shetland Home Co. by asking us for a Gift Aid Declaration Form or download it here.
HOW TO GET TO SHETLAND HOME CO.
You will find us at Port Business Park, in Gremista at the north end of Lerwick. We are next to Ocean Kinetics and JRJ Garage. Across the main road from SSE Lerwick Power Station. We are a large navy blue building, and we share a car park with Shetland Garden Co., Shetland Kitchen Co. and COPE Ltd.'s Main Office.
If travelling by car from the centre of Lerwick, drive north along Commercial Road and continue straight across the roundabout at Grantfield Garage. This road now becomes the A970 which is the main road taking you north out of Lerwick. After a few minutes you will drive past the NorthLink Ferry Terminal on your right, continue along this road towards the Gremista Industrial Estate at the north end of town. Go straight forward at the roundabout, and about 50m after the roundabout you will see a junction to your left, this is directly across from SSE Lerwick Power Station on your right hand side. Take the junction to the left and you will enter Port Business Park. Ocean Kinetics will face you, turn left again and you will see the navy blue Shetland Home Co. building to your right hand side. Take the next right to the shared parking area between Shetland Home Co. and Shetland Garden Co. Google Maps estimates this takes 8 minutes from the Market Cross in light traffic.
BIKE or ON FOOT
See directions above. It is a distance of 1.4 miles from the Market Cross to Shetland Home Co, Google estimates this would take 30 minutes to walk and 10 minutes to cycle.
There are two bus stops nearby Shetland Home Co. There is a bus stop on the main road next to the COPE Ltd. Main Office (served by buses that are leaving town, heading north) the nearest stop on the other side of the road (for buses entering town) is the ‘Holmsgarth Ferry Terminal’ bus stop (NorthLink Terminal) which is a few minutes’ walk away. Both bus stops are served by the following bus numbers:
- Lerwick Town Service - 1
- West Mainland – 9 and 12
- North Mainland – 21 and 23
- Scalloway – 4
- Overland (North Isles) – 24
Please see http://travel.shetland.org/desktop_homepage.php for bus timetable information on timings.
*Please note that the bus stop next to the COPE Ltd. Main Building is not listed on the bus timetable as an official stop, but all of these buses will happily stop at the stop if requested. Please tell your driver that you would like to go to Shetland Home Co. or COPE Ltd., and/or ring the bell just before the stop (see directions above).
By bus, Google Map estimates that it would take 8 minutes on the bus from the Viking Bus Station to Shetland Home Co.Port Business Park, Gremista, Lerwick, Shetland, ZE1 0TW