Shetland Home Co.
Shetland Home Co is a diverse and community focused enterprise. Its main function is to support re-use and recycling in our isles. It delivers a range of services which have evolved in response to our communities needs.
* COVID Service changes *
For up to date information on the opening hours and service status of Shetland Home Co, please visit: www.facebook.com/shetlandhomeco.
OPENING HOURS (As of Thursday 10th June 2021)
To Shop: Monday to Saturday - 9am to 4pm
To Donate: Monday, Friday, Saturday - 9am to 4pm (via our Yard)
We would like to tell you about the measures we’ve put in place to make sure Shetland Home Co is as safe as possible, and you can enjoy your shopping experience again with confidence.
• Donations Days – We will only be able to accept Donations on set days. This is crucial in us safely handling your donations. We will be treating all incoming donations as highest risk, and have processes in place to Bio-Fog all donations in containers in our Yard. Once safely bio-fogged, they will be able to come into the main building for assessing and sorting. Due to the extra processing we are having to limit the number of days we can accept donations.
• Limiting Customer Numbers – we have installed a simple traffic light at the front door on the fence. When it shows the Green arrow, you are welcome to come in. When it shows the Red Cross, then please wait. Either in your car or on the footpath outside. We are limiting the number of customers in store at one time so that everyone can move around browsing comfortably, without worrying too much about it becoming busy and social distancing becoming an issue.
• Floor markings – we have marked our floors into sections so that this can help guide you when you’re in the shop to maintain your social distance from other customers.
• New Exit – we have established a New Exit to the shop, so there will be no crossover of customers entering or exiting the shop. The new exit is at the back of the building, and a new concrete path will lead you around the building back to the car park.
• Hand Sanitiser and Masks – As soon as you enter the shop you will see our new Welcome Desk. Here have Hand Sanitiser to be used straight away. We have masks available here if folk have forgotten to take one too.
• Thorough cleaning – we will spend the first hour of our day thoroughly cleaning the shop. We will be performing hourly cleans throughout the day too.
• Personal Protective Wear – all our staff will be wearing Face Coverings in our Shop and in our Yard. We have installed a Persex barrier right around our Till too.
• Delivery/Collections Van – we are operating normal hours at the moment. If you have Large items you'd like to donate to us and have us collect, then please get in touch over the phone. We are taking details of these and will schedule them in as soon as we can safely manage. Please be assured that our Van Team are working to Scottish Government advice specific to delivery/collection service, via Revolve. We will be wearing face coverings and maintaining 2 metres social distancing at all times. We prefer contactless collections and deliveries, for everyones safety, but we will work with you to best manage what we can. Our staff and customers safety is of utmost importance at the moment.
We hope you appreciate the measures we’ve put in place. We have put quite strong measures in place, with the hope this will give customers, staff and our participants the utmost confidence in returning to Shetland Home Co.
If you have any further questions please get in touch:
- please check our Facebook page which is updated regularly: https://www.facebook.com/shetlandhomeco
- Direct message us on our Facebook page
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone 01595 696889, then dial 2
Shetland Home Co Team
Everything you can find for sale in the Shetland Home Co has been generously donated by the Shetland community. Things you will be able to find include:
- Furniture including couches, wardrobes, chests of drawers, tables and chairs
- Domestic white goods and electrical items
- Computers, printers and monitors
- Books, DVDs, CD's and Vinyl
- Mirrors and Pictures
- Collectables, China, Glassware and much, much more
Our primary function is to re-use and recycle household items with the aim of reducing waste. Our skilled team maximise this aim by carrying out small repairs, PAT testing all electrical items and ensuring all items are clean and in good working order before sale.
Revolve - national re-use quality standard
We are delighted to announce that we have achieved Revolve Certification in June 2017.
Revolve is Scotland’s national re-use quality standard, and aims to increase re-use by improving professionalism, customer experience and visibility of re-use organisations.
We are one of 102 certified stores all across Scotland each externally validated and commended for their commitment to quality, safety and continuous improvement.
A Zero Waste Scotland report reveals that over 70% of people believe that buying second hand goods offers good value and is often cheaper than buying new and our Revolve certification will help to give shoppers confidence to do just that.
Our organisation has worked successfully through the Revolve certification process, which includes the following:
- Meeting strict standards for organisational legal requirements and product safety. This includes a review of health and safety practices and risk assessment.
- Being awarded the European Foundation of Quality Management (EFQM) ‘Committed to Excellence Award’ by Quality Scotland which recognises business that are committed to quality and continuous improvement. This is European wide quality standard, used by over 30,000 organisations.
- Successfully completing Revolve retail programme which consist of professional training and support to make our customer experience the best that it can be.
How to donate your unwanted items
Its amazing how much your unwanted household items can have value for others. We are particularly interested in donations of computers and large furniture items including tables, chairs, sofas and bedroom furniture.
We appreciate all donations given and happily accept these from you at the Shetland Home Co. If you have large items you would like to donate we offer a collection service for these FREE of charge.
For more information call 01595 696889, then press 2.
Our friendly delivery team can also deliver large items purchased from us across the Shetland Mainland for a small fee. Delivery fees range from £5 - £15.
For more information call 01595 696889, then press 2.
Over the years we have steadily increased the recycling of components from electrical appliances, PC's and machinery.
This salvage activity targets high value materials such as PC mother boards for their gold, copper, brass, stainless steel, electric motors, cables, lead acid / lithium ion batteries and mild steel. Our team remove all plastic, rubber, glass and contaminates ready for sale to salvage markets on the UK mainland.
We also sell a pre-pack selection of small components inclucing assorted nuts, bolts, springs, metal axles, jewellery components, knobs and handles for model engineers, DIY enthusiasts, inventors, jewellery makers and people interested in arts and crafts. These can be found on the Shetland Home Co retail floor.
Retail Gift Aid
Help your donation go even further at no extra cost to you. If you are a UK tax payer and you say ‘Yes’ to Gift Aid we can claim 25p for every £1 you give to us, boosting the value of your donation by a quarter. All we need from you is permission to reclaim the tax you have paid to HMRC.
About Retail Gift Aid
Gift Aid is a simple way for Shetland Home Co to increase the value of gifts of money we receive from UK taxpayers. When a UK taxpayer gives a gift of money to a charity like COPE, tax has already been paid on that money. This money therefore qualifies for Gift Aid. Because we are exempt from tax, we can claim an amount equal to the tax paid by a donor on their donation as a repayment from HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC).
If you donate to us at Shetland Home Co and you pay UK tax, please ‘Go even further’ and ask us for a Gift Aid Declaration Form or download it here.
HOW TO GET TO SHETLAND HOME CO
You will find us at Port Business Park, in Gremista at the north end of Lerwick. We are next to Ocean Kinetics and JRJ Garage. Across the main road from SSE Lerwick Power Station. We are a large navy blue building, and we share a car park with Shetland Garden Co, Shetland Kitchen Co and COPE Main Office.
If travelling by car from the centre of Lerwick, drive north along Commercial Road and continue straight across the roundabout at Grantfield Garage. This road now becomes the A970 which is the main road taking you north out of Lerwick. After a few minutes you will drive past the NorthLink Ferry Terminal on your right, continue along this road towards the Gremista Industrial Estate at the north end of town. Go straight forward at the roundabout, and about 50m after the roundabout you will see a junction to your left, this is directly across from SSE Lerwick Power Station on your right hand side. Take the junction to the left and you will enter Port Business Park. Ocean Kinetics will face you, turn left again and you will see the navy blue Shetland Home Co building to your right hand side. Take the next right to the shared parking area between Shetland Home Co and Shetland Garden Co. Google Maps estimates this takes 8 minutes from the Market Cross in light traffic.
WALK OR CYCLE
See directions above. It is a distance of 1.4 miles from the Market Cross to Shetland Home Co, Google estimates this would take 30 minutes to walk and 10 minutes to cycle.
There are two bus stops useful for visiting Shetland Home Co. There is a bus stop on the main road next to the COPE Main Office (served by buses that are leaving town as it is on the left hand side) the nearest stop on the other side of the road (for buses entering town) is the ‘Holmsgarth Ferry Terminal’ bus stop (NorthLink Terminal) which is a few minutes’ walk away. Both bus stops are served by the below bus numbers.
- Lerwick Town Service - 1
- West Mainland – 9 and 12
- North Mainland – 21 and 23
- Scalloway – 4
- Overland (North Isles) – 24
Please see http://travel.shetland.org/desktop_homepage.php for bus timetable information on timings.
*Please note that the bus stop next to the COPE Main Building is not listed on the bus timetable as an official stop, but all of these buses will happily stop at the bus stop if made aware. Please tell your driver that you would like to go to Shetland Home Co or COPE, and/or ring the bell just before the stop (see directions above to indicate when best to ring).
By bus, Google Map estimates that it would take 8 minutes on the bus from the Viking Bus Station to Shetland Home Co.Port Business Park, Gremista, Lerwick, Shetland, ZE1 0TW